Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The small town newspaper will survive

I hate blogging. I hate bloogers. I've been a newspaper columnist, opining on subjects from relicensing of dams to big city radio. Blogging is by no means the equivalent. Blogging is bloviating without accountability. I have for several years now been an editor of many different kinds at newspapers in Lawrenceville, Ga., Gainesville, Ga., Robbinsville, N.C., Altus, Okla., and now Lawton, Okla.
Legions are lining up to write the epitaph of newspapers. Count me out of that number. Big city dailies my decline, burdened by their own weight. But the weekly papers of the heartland, the one's you cut pictures from and post on the refrigerator and in the scrapbook are here to stay. I have looked online for a champion of the small-town newspaper. I haven't found one. So here I am. Over the next few months I hope to chronicle the story and anecdotes of the defender of our inky faith, the small-town weekly and afternoon daily newspaper.

No comments: